Upcoming Fire Tech School Holiday Camps
Fire Tech Camps Australia will be running a series of holiday camps from the 10th – 21st of April. Courses will be run from ECU’s Joondalup and Mt Lawley Campuses and Christ Church Grammar School and run from 10am – 4pm. Courses include:
- Modding Minecraft with Java;
- Mobile App Design;
- Video Game Design;
- Building and Racing Drones and many more!
Scholarships available for CoderDojo WA Ninjas
Keep an eye on our Facebook page for details of these scholarships. Information will be sent out to all Champions shortly. Champions – please make sure your mailing list profile lists you as a Champion, and that your Dojo is listed on Zen so you can take part in this offer.
The difference between CoderDojo and Fire Tech
CoderDojo is all about free, unstructured and informal social environments (clubs) where Ninjas can work on projects of their own choice and meet new friends with similar interests. There are no expectations at CoderDojo and so Ninjas can relax and explore the world of code at their own pace.
Fire Tech offers structured content learning opportunities; workshops and camps, in specific areas such as mobile app design, video game design and building drones.
- There are a very small amount of spots open in the Dojo at UWA which runs on Saturdays. Get in quick and register here.
- Murdoch University’s CoderDojo for Year 7 – 10 girls will be running on Thursdays, next term from 3.30pm to 6pm. Email email@example.com for more information.
Enter our WWWC17 Poster Competition to win!
Calling all WA Ninjas! Want to win an awesome prize and have the chance to have your work displayed in an international conference? You are invited to enter a poster about the Internet into our WWWC17 (World Wide Web Consortium) competition, supported by Bankwest.
What is the World Wide Web Consortium? It is the world’s premiere web conference, and this 3-7 April it will be run in Perth. How can you enter?
For the chance to win a prize and have your work displayed in the WWWC17 conference, you must create an A3 poster on one of the following themes and submit here.
- What is the Internet?
- What was life like before the Internet?
- What is the future of the Internet?
Entries close 5pm Monday 27th March.
- The Ludum Dare game jam is coming up on April 21st – April 24th. This is a well-known international event where you are challenged to create a game in a weekend, based on a theme. You can work alone or in a team. Check it out here.
- Looking for something to do at your Dojo? Why not celebrate “Scratch Day” (sometime in May) at your Dojo. There are a ton of ideas and activities on the Scratch Day site to get you inspired.
Interesting jobs and internships (WA only)
- Love technology and helping young people? Perhaps you are Corpus Christi College’s next Design and Technology Technician.
- Stryker; one of the world’s leading medical technology companies, is looking for a Joints Replacement and Robotics Consultant who enjoys explaining technology to patients.
- Want to analyse data from space? UWA are looking for a Software Engineer to take part in two of Australia’s largest astronomy centres (CAASTRO-3D and ICRAR).
- Thoughtworks are a technology consulting company who don’t like bureaucracy and hierarchy, but are big on diversity, inclusion and quality code. They are currently looking for Software Developers.
Showcase your projects
Are you working on a cool project and would like to have it featured on the CoderDojo WA website? Send a link and a short description of how you made your project to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your project can’t be viewed online you can submit screen captures instead of a link. Projects do not need to be finished.
If you know of any opportunities that would be of interest to our community please post them on our Facebook page.
Professional Development Opportunities
CoderDojo WA Combined Mentor and Champion Training
Due to popular demand we have organised several Combined Mentor and Champion Training Sessions during the day in school holiday breaks to make it easier for teachers as well as other professionals to attend. Sessions will run in April, July and October. All these sessions are free and all are welcome. Book here.
CoderDojo WA Community Catalyst Training
Would you like to step up to the next level and become a CoderDojo catalyst in your area? Come and learn about the methods used by the Fogarty Foundation to catalyse and support the CoderDojo WA community. These sessions will be on the same days as the Combined Mentor and Training Sessions, so you can attend both. All welcome. Find our more and book here.
YCombinator online startup school (MOOC)
Anyone in our Dojo community with a startup idea, but not sure how to progress it? Check out YCombinator’s online “Startup School” MOOC (Massive Open Online Course). Amazingly this is totally free.
Programming in Scratch (MOOC)
We’ve promoted this Scratch MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) and we’ll promote it again. This online course is an excellent place to start for any Champions, Mentors or Parents from a non-technical background (or those from a technical background for that matter). Scratch is super popular amongst Ninjas and by doing this online course you will be in a great position to help Ninjas with their projects.
Can you help us?
We are looking for reliable and trustworthy people to help us support the CoderDojo WA community, which now has over 2000 members.
CoderDojo WA is unique in the way it is grassroots, and as good as our community make it. There is a lot of space for improvement with the contributions of community members.
If you can offer occasional voluntary help in any of the following areas, please add yourself to the “Remote / Occasional Helper” group on the mailing list profile update page, and email your CV or a link to your LinkedIn page to email@example.com, telling us the things you could help with. Things we currently need help with:
- Data entry and data maintenance
- Helping connect and maintain online databases and forms
- Managing our mailchimp mailing list (settings and design)
- Helping put together this newsletter
- Architecture of CRM / mailing list and communications workflow
- Document Control
- Website maintenance (www.coderdojowa.org.au)
- Graphic Design
- Managing our social media accounts (Twitter and Facebook)
- Helping as an administrator and welcoming new members to our Facebook group
- Running and supporting training sessions
- Research and report writing
- Journalism (story investigation, article writing and photography)
- Event photography
For all of these voluntary helping tasks, we would like help from people who either have experience in that particular area, or are ready to learn all about it.BACK TO BLOG